Ultra Light Startups maintains a set of selection committees to select the presenters at our pitch events. Selection committees are composed of investors, service providers, and community leaders in the startup ecosystem.
Joining the selection committee is by invitation only. Invitations are offered to people who refer startups to apply to present at our events. If you’d like to join the selection committee, find a startup who should present at Ultra Light and have him fill in the application form for internet/software startups and for energy/cleantech startups. Once we receive an application from a qualified startup that references you as “how he/she heard about us” we’ll invite you to the relevant selection committee.
The only duty of the selection committee is to review startup applications and give opinions on which are the most qualified startups. Typically, we run about one event per month in each industry vertical. So roughly once per month, you’ll be sent a list of applications to review and rate. Selecting startups from an applicant pool typically takes about 2-4 hours.
Benefits to selection committee members include
- Free admission to events
- Visibility to the Ultra Light Startups community in our email newsletter, social media, website and other channels
- The ability to see startups first and influence who gets to present
If you have questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
Selection Committee Ranking
Below is a ranked list of the top 20 members of the Selection Committee as of February, 2014. Each month, a score of 0-21 is assigned to each member, based on their success at selecting the winners of that month’s event. A member receives 8 points for picking that month’s winner, 7 points for picking the 2nd place team, etc. The max score for any given Committee member in one month is 21 (8 + 7 + 6). The number next to each name below is their 3-month cumulative score (the max possible 3-month cumulative score is 21 x 3 = 63).
- 38 Geert DeBecker findNmeet
- 35 Ryan Feit Seedinvest
- 35 Nasir Ali StartFast
- 34 Matthew Bachmann Columbia GSB
- 33 James Cropcho Maypop
- 32 Nigel Austin Austin Law
- 32 Maria Moratis Isobar
- 30 Eugene Joseph Wisdom.ly
- 30 Richard Foster LaunchPad LI
- 28 Dmitry Koltunov Collective Catalyst
- 28 Stephen Estes American Express
- 27 Jennie Baird Generation Grownup
- 27 John Gordon USA Corporate Services
- 26 Travis Kahn Stevens Institute of Technology
- 25 Amy Pan AppNexus
- 24 Bina Khan SUMMIT
- 23 Jonathan Drillings Comcast Ventures
- 23 Anna Curran Cookbook Create
- 22 Marcus Wilkinson VLP Law Group
- 22 Peter Rothberg Reitler Kailas & Rosenblatt